Several foundations and organizations focus on providing support and resources to people with disabilities. These organizations work to enhance the quality of life, promote inclusion, and address the unique needs and challenges faced by individuals with disabilities. Here are some foundations and organizations that have historically supported people with disabilities:
- **The National Organization on Disability (NOD):** NOD promotes the full participation and contributions of individuals with disabilities in all aspects of life. They work with businesses and employers to increase opportunities for disabled individuals in the workforce.
- **The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation:** This foundation is dedicated to advancing the quality of life for individuals living with paralysis. They support research and programs aimed at improving the lives of people with spinal cord injuries.
- **The American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD):** AAHD is focused on promoting health and wellness for people with disabilities. They offer grants and resources to organizations working in this field.
- **The National Center on Disability and Journalism:** This center promotes accurate and fair reporting on disability issues. They provide resources and training for journalists and media professionals.
- **The Special Hope Foundation:** This foundation supports programs and initiatives that improve the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- **The Ruderman Family Foundation:** Ruderman Family Foundation focuses on the inclusion and full participation of people with disabilities in society. They work on various projects, including advocating for greater representation of disabled individuals in the entertainment industry.
- **The National Council on Disability (NCD):** NCD is an independent federal agency that promotes policies and practices that support the inclusion and full participation of people with disabilities in all aspects of life.
- **The Harkin Institute for Public Policy and Citizen Engagement:** Named after Senator Tom Harkin, this institute focuses on disability policy, employment, and inclusion.
- **The Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA):** MDA supports individuals and families affected by muscular dystrophy and related diseases. They provide resources for research and support services.
- **Local and Regional Disability Organizations:** Many local and regional organizations are dedicated to supporting individuals with disabilities in their communities. These organizations often provide a range of services, advocacy, and support.
These organizations and foundations offer a variety of grants, resources, and programs to support individuals with disabilities, as well as the organizations and initiatives that serve this community. The specific focus areas and eligibility criteria for their programs may vary, so it’s important to explore the opportunities provided by these organizations if you or your organization are involved in work related to disabilities. Check out www.thegrantportal.com for grant sources.